The Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology (IRIS) seeks an experienced Software Engineer at the IRIS Data Management Center (DMC) in Seattle, Washington. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated self-starter to be part of an international seismological data center. Our center is responsible for archival and dissemination of large-scale geophysical datasets to the scientific community. This position supports the always-on web services and cross-platform applications that scientists and the public use to access data. This is a key position in a unique data center supporting a very broad audience of users. We offer competitive salaries, an excellent benefits package, and a terrific work atmosphere.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assume software development tasks to support web services for terabyte-scale data archive curation, transformation, and delivery.
• Detect and troubleshoot issues as they occur to ensure maximum uptime for customers.
• Create solutions to increase scalability, speed, and resilience of software stacks that carry out a wide array of data-intensive operations.
• Work with other team-members to design and implement complex systems that draw on a variety of skill sets.
• Communicate with the seismic community to ensure a healthy partnership of data engineering serving scientific research.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The minimum level of education and experience for this position includes:
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Earth Science, or similar technical field and/or equivalent professional experience.
• More than five (5) years of experience in software development with demonstrated achievement in specific areas.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, and ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
• Hands-on experience with Linux operating systems as well as scripting languages including Linux shell and Perl.
• Strong skills in languages like C/C++, Java, and/or Python
• Experience with relational database systems, SQL, and connectors like JDBC and psycopg.
• Experience with software frameworks such as Spring and Django is a plus.
• Familiarity with automated build and test from svn or git.
• Knowledge of software lifecycle processes and software design methodologies.
• Expertise working with technical and scientific data.
• Good communication skills with team members and end users.
• Can provide effective estimates of work and completes tasks within established timetables and specifications.
Candidates should submit a letter of interest and a resume highlighting pertinent work experience by May 3, 2019 to irisjobs<@>iris.washington.edu with the subject line "IRIS Software Engineer".
IRIS is a consortium of over 120 US universities dedicated to the operation of science facilities for the acquisition, management, and distribution of seismological data. For more information on IRIS, consult http://www.iris.edu.
IRIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.